Saturday, January 30, 2016

The TED(Ed) Platform - How it Helps me Reset and Re-energize

I can't recall the first TED talk I saw, but I can tell you that ever since then I have spent a lot of time watching and benefiting from TED talks. The devotion TED has placed on spreading ideas has provided me, and others, with inspiration and energy.

Earlier today I was communicating with +Will Gourley, an Ontario educator who also happens to be a TED-Ed Innovative Educator and a TED-Ed Club leader, and I came to the realization that TED is like an 'external battery pack' for me. There are talks I watch over and over again because they energize me, help me reset and default back to the optimistic/positive setting that benefits my family, students, and mental health. The new talks that I am constantly discovering offer me new perspectives and valuable life lessons that I can incorporate into my day to day experiences to make me a better person.

I have been watching TED talks for years and have attended several TEDx events. I have been trying to apply and connect what I learn from my TED experiences to my work as a teacher to benefit my practice and the learning of my students.

When I learned about TED-Ed lessons and TED-Ed Clubs you can imagine how happy I was to see the marriage between TED and education. I'm also a little surprised that it has taken me so long to reflect on this and write about it.

There are so many ideas worth spreading that can benefit educators and students. TED-Ed lessons, Clubs, and the support that is available to teachers - world wide - is definitely beneficial and needed, as it helps facilitate the sharing of ideas that provide learning opportunities that can be hard to come by.

As a TED-Ed Club leader, I get to support students who want to share their big ideas in the form of short TED style talks. I am still new to the process but excited about assisting students in realizing their passions and full potential as they share their ideas and become more comfortable speaking their minds.

The TED(Ed) platform is my external battery pack. Does it do the same for you? Where do you find your inspiration? How do you re-energize? I know that I am not the only one to feel this way about TED and TED-Ed. I would love to hear whether TED has had the same impact on you!

2 comments:

  1. Rolland you have captured the spirit of TED Talks and TED Ed Clubs in this post. I remember my first talk as if by no surprise it was Ken Robinson's Do schools kill creativity from 2006. I discovered it in 2009 and was hooked. Ever since, TED Talks have been a part of my instruction. The opportunity to share and encourage others to share their ideas worth spreading is now a daily part of my teaching life. Glad to have you onboard the TED Ed Clubs team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will, thanks for sharing how you got started with TED talks. I am really happy to be part of the TED Ed Clubs team and with each club meeting we have I get more and more excited about the journey my students and I are on. Thinking of putting a post together about our last meeting. Stay tuned.

      Delete